Wednesday 9 April 2008

English through Famous Songs

I have an idea….

Yes, sometimes I think, too.

I was thinking it would be wonderful to have some kind of Seminar Class or Club about Music: famous songs, singers and lyrics.

I could be called : “English through Famous Songs”. Sounds great, don’t you think? If I had the opportunity, I would definitely sign up to it.

Many lyrics’ songs are very beautiful. Lyrics can be considered, in some way, as “poetry”. Poetry is literature. So, lyrics are literature, aren’t they? (Aristotle might say ‘yes’)

If we can learn vocabulary through short stories, we can learn it through lyrics’ song, as well.

Music is Art and Art is Culture. Every song has a background. Every song has a meaning, a place, a time and a reason to live. Every singer has a personal history, too. So, I believe that through one song we can learn many things about one country, society, world history, love, war, peace, human beings, relationships, family, values, belief etc.

We can choose a song, analyse its lyrics and comprehend its meaning, look into its writer or its singer, search when it was written and why it became famous, etc.

The teacher of this seminar should be a music lover but sometimes students can make their own suggestions depending on their own musical taste.

For example, I like the Disney’s Songs or some lyrics from the Beatles.

I don’t know much about music but if I can learn something about Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, Shakira, Nirvana, etc., etc, etc. among their songs, I will be really delighted

If someone wants to implement this, go on! And tell me later which the results are!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin