Sunday 4 May 2008

The Rule of Three


When I was studying at YORK UNIVERSITY I attended to a workshop about “Effective Presentations”. The teacher was Neil. He was amazing. He knew a lot about NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and he gave us some important tips to success in our academic presentations.

From all the tips that he explained, there is one that attracted my attention: The Rule of Three. Neil said “Three is a magic number”. Not two, not four: THREE.

Why is “3” a magic number?

Firstly
, there is scientific proof that people tend to remember three things rather than two or four. When the information is presented in groups of three, it sticks in our heads better than other clusters of items.

Secondly, the rule of three simplify the way of giving and processing information. If you organize your writing or your speech in three important items, the content will be memorable and engaging.
Thirdly, and finally, if you observe and analyze the most famous quotation in the worldwide history, you will realize that most of them are structured in three parts. For example, “Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”; “Government of the people, by the people, for the people”; “Friends, Romans, Countrymen”; “Blood, sweat and tears”; “Location, location, location”; “Father, Son and Holy Spirit”; “Faith, Hope and Charity”; “Mind, body, spirit”; “Stop, Look and Listen”; “I came, I saw, I conquered”.

Taking into account this “Rule of Three”, I will tell you my trip as a backpacker!

I have visited 3 cities in two times 3 days and I will tell you the 3 best places I went.

But before that, look at the song I found in the internet: “3 is a magic number”. It is funny and it supports this theory.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin