Thursday 8 January 2009

Mario Benedetti... but in english.


I found a poem from Mario Benedetti which was translated to English and after reading it I had the feeling that such a writer sounds in English as well as in Spanish. Beneditti´s poem is a beautiful symphony to my ears and a caress to my soul.


Still

I can´t still believe it,
You are arriving to my side
And the night is a handful
Of stars and happiness.

I feel, taste, listen and see
Your face, your long step,
Your hands and, however,
I can´t still believe it.

Your return has so much
In common with you and me,
That, because I guess it I say it,
And because of the doubts I sing it.

No one ever could replace you
And the most trivial things
Become fundamental,
Because you are arriving home,
However I still
Doubt of this good luck,
Because the pleasure of having you
Seems to me like a fantasy.

But you come and it is sure
And you come with your gaze,
And for that reason your arrival
Makes the future magic.

And although I have not always understood
My blames and my breakdowns,
On the other hand I know that in your arms
The world has sense.

And if I kiss the audacity
And the mystery of your lips
There won't be doubts nor misunderstandings,
I will love you much more

2 comments:

Conchita said...

Thank you for the special gift. You are right it is beautiful in both languages.

Unknown said...

Eugenia, a vida é assim mesmo.
Sou italiano de origem, brasileiro de nascimento, canadense no momento. Também aprecio muito BBAA.
O que importa, realmente, é a nossa passagem pela vida...se deixamos pessoas magoadas ou tristes, se acrescentamos mais do que tiramos, se sorrios mais do que choramos...
Temos de sentir que nossa passagem por esse mundo fez sentido, principalmente, para nós mesmos...e, finalmente, nossas experiências (o passado) apenas servem de plataforma para os futuros voos. "Don't loock back...just walk follow your path...".
jaguar.noturno@gmail.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin