Sunday 14 June 2009

Blockbuster, the movies and the emotional memory

It has been a long long time since I went to rent a movie at Blockbuster for the last time. When the VHS and DVDs bumped into the market, Blockbuster became very popular and its branches were all accross the city. However, when the fakes Cds appeared in the market and the Internet gives us the chance to download movies for free, I wondered “Is it worthy that Blockbuster exist?”

When I went into Blockbuster, it seemed to me that I was visiting a kind os “Movies´ Museum”. What kind of movie format will be available in 10 years from now? I wondered and I just had a flashforward of me in which I was at the store with my two kids who were asking: “how did you use that round thing mom, how could you watch movies from them?” ...Lol... The same questions we ask right now to our parents and grandparents... lol Certainly, technological development make us feel old.

Going back to Blockbuster...If we can get some movies for a few couples of pounds or even for free, who rent a movie nowadays? Fortunately, many peope still do.
Although Blockbuster could be seen like a old fashioned way to get movies, it still has its advantages. For example, at Blockbuste you can find all those no-hollywood movies that it is hard to find anywhere else. Moreover, we do not have any other place where to find the classicals. Cassanova, Cinema Paradiso, When Harry meets Sally, etc.. can be borrowed from Blockbuster only.


The old movies! What a time! Lol.. while I was checking all the corridors and the sections, many memories came up to my mind. I could clearly divided the movies between “seen and not seen”. There were periods in my life when I used to rent millions movies. Many of them really good, others not really. But what was amazing about my visit to Blockbuster is that when I saw the case of a movie that I watched some time ago, I could remember not only the plot itself but also, where, when and with whom I had watched that movie!. What amazing way to go back to the past! I thought! What amazing way to realize how powerful is our emotional memory.

From now and on, I believe that visiting Blockbuster would be a good idea to remind us of good all times!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin