Tuesday, 30 June 2009
Monday, 29 June 2009
Monday, 15 June 2009
Sunday, 14 June 2009
When I went into Blockbuster, it seemed to me that I was visiting a kind os “Movies´ Museum”. What kind of movie format will be available in 10 years from now? I wondered and I just had a flashforward of me in which I was at the store with my two kids who were asking: “how did you use that round thing mom, how could you watch movies from them?” ...Lol... The same questions we ask right now to our parents and grandparents... lol Certainly, technological development make us feel old.
Going back to Blockbuster...If we can get some movies for a few couples of pounds or even for free, who rent a movie nowadays? Fortunately, many peope still do.
Although Blockbuster could be seen like a old fashioned way to get movies, it still has its advantages. For example, at Blockbuste you can find all those no-hollywood movies that it is hard to find anywhere else. Moreover, we do not have any other place where to find the classicals. Cassanova, Cinema Paradiso, When Harry meets Sally, etc.. can be borrowed from Blockbuster only.
The old movies! What a time! Lol.. while I was checking all the corridors and the sections, many memories came up to my mind. I could clearly divided the movies between “seen and not seen”. There were periods in my life when I used to rent millions movies. Many of them really good, others not really. But what was amazing about my visit to Blockbuster is that when I saw the case of a movie that I watched some time ago, I could remember not only the plot itself but also, where, when and with whom I had watched that movie!. What amazing way to go back to the past! I thought! What amazing way to realize how powerful is our emotional memory.
From now and on, I believe that visiting Blockbuster would be a good idea to remind us of good all times!
Saturday, 13 June 2009
as I was sleeping,
I dreamt blessed illusion
that I had a beehive
inside my heart.
And the golden bees
white combs and sweet honey
out of all my bitterness and failures.
as I was sleeping,
I dreamt blessed illusion
that it was God that I had
here inside my heart.
By Antonio Machado,
This idea of "all the bees" that can make from all the bitterness and failures, white combs and sweet honey.
This idea of "make something good" with all the bad that has happened to you...it´s a blessed idea.
Wednesday, 10 June 2009
Friday, 5 June 2009
I took a Marketing course Last month. Here, there are some ideas that I highligthed. .
THE AIM OF MKT
1. To convert Desires into Needs.
Marketing starts from people´s NEEDS and DESIRES. Needs and desires depend on people´s perceptions, culture and reality. They are totally subjective and varible.
What´s the different between a need and a desire? When we NEED something, we need it because we do not have it. There is a feeling of lack and emptyness. And if we don´t satisfy that emptyness, a kind of tension or disrupting feeling arise. On the other hand, when we WISH something, when you have a DESIRE, we might not achieve it but no tension will appear because of it.
The tension between what we need and what we have is what make us to act. ACTION. A need makes as to move forward. We have only two options: or we achieve what we need or we forget about it and go down our expectations.
The aim of Marketing is to convert DESIRES into NEEDS and to generate that “TENSION” that makes people to ACT to get what they want. If the need is backuped by money, we get the DEMAND.
Marketing converts DESIRES into NEEDs. People demand what I am offering because I made them feel they need it.
2. To seed a Good Customer Relationship.
When a costumer comes for the first time to our shop to satisfy his/her need, he/she is getting a full service/sale expirience. If she/he is satisfied with the product and the service given by the salesperson and company, he/she will be como back when he/she has a new need.
In addition to a good shop experience, to see a good customer relationship includes to know when the brithday of your customer is or when she/ he is having a baby, etc..
What happen if for any reason the customer get uppset with the selling process? Well, in this case, to recover or mantein a good relationship, the salesperson should the following three things:
1. Accept that a mistake was comitted. Recognize the mistake.
2. Try to compensate it. Find a solution that favours the client.
3. Assure him/her that it will not happen again and make sure that it will not happen again.
There is no future for a company that make the same mistake again and again against customer´s satisfaction.
HOW TO MANAGE MARKETING.
There is s famous quote that says: “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail”. Planification is the first step of every succesful project. Marketing needs an strategic plan, as well.
An Strategic Marketing Plan includes:
*Vision : How do you see your company in 20/50 years from now?
*Mision: What will I do to chieve that vision?
*Objetives: What do I want to do? (something measurable in time and quantity)
*SWOT Analysis (Strenghts, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threateness)
*Environment: competitors, suppliers, logistics, clients.
*Context: economic, political, social, cultural situation.
- The Marketing programs that succeed are built over trends not novelties.
- Marketing is not a fight of products, it is a war of perceptions.
- It is better to be the first than to be the best.
- If you cannot be the first in one category, you should create a new category where you can be the first.
- It is better to be the first in the customer´s mind than in the selling point.
- The most important principle in every marketing strategy is to have ONE WORD in people´s mind.
- Two companies cannot have the same word in people´s mind.
- The strategy to apply depends on the place you occupy in the ladder.
- The price is always in the customer´s mind. The costumer establish the price according to the value he/she gives to the product or service.
- In the course of time, each market become a race between only 2 participants.
- If you choose to be the second, your strategy will be determined by the leader.
- In the course of time, one category will divide into 2 or more categories.
- Marketing is a long term issue.
- There is some irrestible pressure that leads us to the expansion of the brand.
- You always have to give something in order to get something else.
- For every feature, there is an opposite one as effective as the first.
- When you admitt something negative from your part, the potential customer will give you something positive.
- In each situation, only one move might produce important outcomes.
- Success is always behind arrogancy and arrogancy will lead you to failure.
- The failure should be expected and accepted.
Notes taken in a Marketing Course.
Tuesday, 2 June 2009
- If you want to avoid worry, do what Sir William Osler did: Live in "day-tight compartments." Don't stew about the futures. Just live each day until bedtime.
- The next time Trouble--with a Capital T--backs you up in a corner, try the magic formula of Willis H. Carrier:
- Ask yourself, "What is the worst that can possibly happen if I can't solve my problem?
- Prepare yourself mentally to accept the worst--if necessary.
- Then calmly try to improve upon the worst--which you have already mentally agreed to accept.
3. Remind yourself of the exorbitant price you can pay for worry in terms of your health. "Those who do not know how to fight worry die young."